Disclaimers (was Re: [Mimedefang] Content-type charset)

David F. Skoll dfs at roaringpenguin.com
Wed Apr 4 10:53:04 EDT 2007

Matt wrote:

>> What I object to are footers that pretend to compel me to do (or not to do)
>> certain things.

> It is your list and I respect your right to make any rules you see
> fit, but wouldn't the act of subscribing to your list implicitly
> authorize the distribution and copying of any message sent?

I would think so.  But what happens if some over-zealous lawyer tries
to sue me for distributing "confidential" information?  Or if I get a
takedown notice demanding removal of a message from the archives?

> IOW, I understand the objection as the legalese footers are
> *irritating*, but as long as the disclaimer uses the qualifier
> "unauthorized", we (list members, you as list admin, anyone browsing
> the archives, etc.) aren't being compeled or not compeled to do
> anything, as we are authorized.

The list is publicly archived.  Anyone with an Internet connection can
read all the postings.

I just don't think I should risk liability because of someone's
posting on the list.

> I just do not expect these footers to go away, since a lot of lawyers
> and legal departments feel they are necessary.

I don't expect them to go away, but they will go away *on this list*.