Disclaimers (was Re: [Mimedefang] Content-type charset)

Matt matt at beyondzero.net
Wed Apr 4 10:46:41 EDT 2007

On Wed, Apr 04, 2007 at 09:30:59AM -0400, David F. Skoll wrote:
> Gordon Henderson wrote:
>
> > In the UK, if you're emailling on behalf of your company, or even (AIUI)
> > using your companys email system, you need to include your company
> > CONTACT information, not a disclaimer. I do not think disclaimers are
> > mandated by law in the UK (yet!)
>
> Ah, OK.  Contact information is reasonable, though one would assume
> that the From: header and Return-Path: information would be sufficient.
>
> What I object to are footers that pretend to compel me to do (or not to do)
> certain things.

It is your list and I respect your right to make any rules you see
fit, but wouldn't the act of subscribing to your list implicitly
authorize the distribution and copying of any message sent?

IOW, I understand the objection as the legalese footers are
*irritating*, but as long as the disclaimer uses the qualifier
"unauthorized", we (list members, you as list admin, anyone browsing
the archives, etc.) aren't being compeled or not compeled to do
anything, as we are authorized.

I just do not expect these footers to go away, since a lot of lawyers
and legal departments feel they are necessary.  Where I work the legal
and finance departments use them (but not all other departments); the
intent is to support litigious action against someone who distributed
confidential emails *with intent to do harm*.

My $.02.

IANAL.

Matt

--
PGP RSA Key ID:    0x1F6A4471                      aim: beyondzero123
PGP DH/DSS Key ID: 0xAFF35DF2                yahoo msg: beyondzero123

The only defense against the world is a
thorough knowledge of it.
     -John Locke