[Mimedefang] md_syslog problem

Damrose, Mark mdamrose at elgin.edu
Mon Sep 25 17:54:45 EDT 2006

I'm playing with MIMEDefang 2.57 on Fedora Core 5 using the RPM build from
Fedora Extras.  The md_syslog function doesn't work.  Fedora C5 includes
version 0.13 of Sys::Syslog.

I've poked around a bit, and figured out that mimedefang.pl seems to be
forcing Sys::Syslog to use 'setlogsock "inet";'.  I've compared against the
older MIMEDefang I have in production, and it has 'setlogsock "unix";' with
comments to try unix for Linux systems and fall back to inet for Solaris.

Either starting syslog with the "-r" flag (i.e. listen on udp 514), or
changing mimedefang.pl to use unix makes it work again.

My question.  Is this a bug in the rpm build - i.e. they got the configure
options wrong, so it detected the system incorrectly (my production MD was
built from source)?  Or is this a change in the way MIMEDefang works.