[Mimedefang] Potential for Business mail servers tonot havereverse DNS

John Rudd john at rudd.cc
Fri Sep 22 21:32:35 EDT 2006

Kevin A. McGrail wrote:

>> By "strict interpretation", I mean "enforce all of these as MUST
>> directives, instead of mere SHOULD directives/suggestions".
>
> I disagree with this statement but would like to have you review the
> code I'm about to post.  RFC's use MUST/SHOULD on purpose and you must
> not reinterpet the should's as must's just because you like it better ;-)

Actually, given what SHOULD means (that those who fail to obey them
should fully consider the consequences of that action), and the text of
the RFC that I quoted (which warns that failure to comply could result
in service rejections), it's perfectly reasonable for a site to make
those recommendations into requirements for service (which is all I was
indicating).