[Mimedefang] Rejecting forged senders - comments?

Cormack, Ken ken.cormack at roadway.com
Wed Sep 20 09:35:45 EDT 2006

As I was thinking more about this thread, something occurred to me.

I wondered, what about external sources that generate email on behalf of a
user, where the user keys in their email address as the sender... For
example, sites that let you send "E-Cards" and such, where you type in your
address as the sender.  If one of my users did something like that, would
the rule discussed in this thread reject the mail as "forged"?

I looked specifically at the American Greetings site, at their e-cards, and
sent myself a test e-card, to observe the header I would receive.  That site
puts a "Sender:" line in the header just before the "From:" line, like this: