[Mimedefang] "Possible SMTP attack: command=HELO/EHLO, count=3"

Kees Theunissen theuniss at rijnh.nl
Thu Oct 26 16:59:12 EDT 2006

On Thu, 26 Oct 2006, Joseph Brennan wrote:

> Yesterday we had 57,510 of these from 29,312 different IP addresses.
> Therefore they average less than 2 a day per IP.
>
> Many were to invalid addresses, some of them in a format that could
> never have been a valid address in our domain.  From a few that were
> to valid addresses, and so had subject logged-- prescription drug spam.

Raise your sendmail loglevel if you want to see those invalid strings.
I have been told that you need a level of 10 for this. I didn't try
it myself.

Below is a quote from a message on the comp.mail.sendmail usenet
group.

  Looking at what goes on the wire, I see the host issuing EHLO
  and HELO commands with sinlge | as argument, or | followed by
  some URL. "EHLO |" or "EHLO |http://some-host/blah/blah".
  After it's rejected, it attempts with HELO, and finally does
  "EHLO real-host".  This is the point where sendmail logs the
  warning.

I'm wondering why they're doing this. Is it a bug? Or are they
trying to gain something with this. Is the possible gain high
enough to compenste a possible lower delivery rate?
And why a "|" ?. Are they trying to exploit some bug somewhere in
a prog or script that handles messages or mail logs?
Could those invalid addresses you saw "in a format that could
never have been a valid address" make some sense in a scripting
context?

Kees Theunissen
F.O.M.-Institute for Plasma Physics Rijnhuizen, Nieuwegein, Netherlands
E-mail: theuniss at rijnh.nl,  Tel: (+31|0)306096724,  Fax: (+31|0)306031204