[Mimedefang] Rejecting spam - users unsubscribed from distribution lists

Joseph Brennan brennan at columbia.edu
Wed Oct 25 09:18:28 EDT 2006

Paul Murphy <Paul.Murphy at ArgentaDiscovery.com> wrote:

> The reason I drop anything which I've classified as being Definitely Spam
> is because almost all of it has an invalid or spoofed return address, so
> either it causes some innocent person to get a bounce message possibly
> containing the Spam (which could be offensive), or your mail server gets
> a very long queue of messages

With Mimedefang or any milter, you should be refusing.  If you accept
and then decide later to generate and mail a bounce, that's the cause
of many problems just as stated above.

The question was about refusing.  Listserv's broken behavior pays no
attention to the error code but reacts as if all 5xx errors were
user unknown.

Joseph Brennan