[Mimedefang] Dictionary-word sender smtp addresses

Cormack, Ken ken.cormack at roadway.com
Wed Oct 4 16:52:36 EDT 2006

Has anyone else been seeing a lot of email over the past few months, with
sender addresses generally in the format "aaa at bbbbbbb-ccccccc.com", where
"aaa" is generally a 3 to 7-character string of random letters, and
"bbbbbbb-ccccccc" are basically random, unrelated dictionary words?  Some
examples would be:

	fdt at inspired-styling.com
	gsa at ultimate-phoenix.com
	AIQ at required-solvency.com
	Crfm at insinuating-sweetness.com
	canon at biochemical-purification.com
	eak26 at billiard-dictionary.com
	lcr at promissory-property.com
	tcv at courageous-persistence.com
	hdlp at impending-renovation.com
	ibm at significant-computation.com

I also see variants of the theme, in which the domain is still comprised of
two apparantly random, unrelated dictionary terms, but lacking the hyphen.

My greylisting is blocking these, but only after the DATA phase, after
expensive SA overhead.  Has anyone tried or found any clever ways to help
detect these, before the DATA phase?  DNS shows that in most cases, the name
servers for most of these contain the word "marketing" somewhere in them,
but I'm curious to see what ideas people have considered, tried, or
implemented.

Ken