[Mimedefang] LZW, Gifs, and fingerprinting stock spams

Philip Prindeville philipp_subx at redfish-solutions.com
Tue Oct 31 23:25:36 EST 2006

I'm trying to do some stochastic analysis of stock spams and
figure out if there's a common fingerprint that can be used to
identify them...

But first, I'm bumping up against some Perl issues.

Seems that there aren't many modules out there that help
deconstruct Gif formats.  I'm using Image::Info::GIF, but
need to decompress the compressed data portion.  I tried
to take the data and pass it to Compress::LZW directly,
but most GIF's (at least for stocks, which don't use many
colors) use 4, 6, or 8 bit codesizes.

Unfortunately, Compress::LZW only handles 12 or 16
bits...  Anyone familiar enough with either GIF formats
or how to decompress the data to offer a leg up?

Thanks,

-Philip