[Mimedefang] mimedefang.sock unsafe

Video Game Junkie vgjunkie at gmail.com
Mon Oct 30 16:01:30 EST 2006

I looked on the mailing list archives for the past problems that have
this error and I was wondering if anybody had more details on how to
fix this problem without restarting the actual machine.

I have 2 servers running RH ES3, running Mimedefang 2.57 and
sendmail-8.12.11-4.RHEL3.4. Under normal circumstances, they share the
load pretty well. Today I noticed that my mail01 server was loaded
(35+) while my mail02 server had no load at all. I checked the logs
for mail02 and I saw the following:

Milter (mimedefang): local socket name
/var/spool/MIMEDefang/mimedefang.sock unsafe

Permissions are fine, as MD starts up normally after a reboot/restart
(unless I see this error). If I do a "service sendmail restart", the
mimedefang.sock file never gets created, and so the MD service fails
as well. Doing a restart on the server fixes the problem and mail
processes normally once again. What information would be needed to try
and determine how to go about fixing this problem without a restart?

Thanks.
Jeff W.