[Mimedefang] MIMEDefang 2.58-BETA-1 is available

Damrose, Mark mdamrose at elgin.edu
Fri Oct 27 10:34:23 EDT 2006

Agree in principle.

I'll just point out that breaking up large attachments into
multiple messages was fairly common before MIME even existed.
There were clients that would automatically break up
uuencode attachments.  There were even clients that would
attempt to understand the part 1/5, part 2/5, etc. subject
lines and re-assemble/uudecode for you.

It wasn't to get around size limits per se - as they weren't
common at the MTA level yet.  It wouldn't have gotten around
file system quotas anyway.  It was mostly so that large
messages wouldn't clog up the queues or monopolize the
expensive connections.

Anyway, making new protocols/formats take into account and
support existing behavior is (or was) the Internet way.