[Mimedefang] Rejecting spam - users unsubscribed from distribution lists

Ingeborg Hellemo Ingeborg.Hellemo at cc.uit.no
Wed Oct 25 04:19:45 EDT 2006

I need some advice. We are a small university running Mimedefang with
SpamAssassin and greylisting.

For the last couple og months we have been rejecting spam with a
SpamAssassin-score over 15 with the error message "554 5.7.1 Spam-score
(16.887) too high".

The problem we have recently discovered is that some distribution lists allows
high scoring spam to be sent out. It then gets rejected by our mailserver and
our users get unsubscribed from the lists as if we had returned "User unknown".

I'm not very fond of silently dropping high scoring spam on the floor since
any "real" senders will not be notified of their message not getting through.

How do you handle this?

--Ingeborg
--
Ingeborg Østrem Hellemo  --  ingeborg at cc.uit.no  (Univ. of Tromsø, Norway)