[Mimedefang] Can mimedefang be run nice?

Barton L. Phillips barton at applitec.com
Sat Oct 14 13:25:36 EDT 2006

renaud pascal wrote:
>   Please, give infos on your setup (hardware and MTA) and maybe
> someone in the list will recognize a situation he already had to
> tame (and maybe succeeded to overcome) !
Thanks. Yes I would like help so here goes:
CPU: AMD Athlon 1.2 GHz cache 256 KB.
MEM: 512 MB
DISK: about 60 Gig
OS: RedHat 9 (I know it is old but I have tried to keep it as up to date as possible)
Mimedefang: 2.53
SpamAssassin: 3.1.0
Perl: 5.8.0
Sendmail: 8.12
>  Do you have RAM and did you try and use it for the MD tmp ?
>   Do you have connection rate and akin stuff set to the best in
> your sendmail conf ?
>   As you don't give much info on RAM/CPU/bandwidth/mailstats
> that's quite hard to tell from here  :-)
I have not tried to put the MD tmp stuff on a ram disk yet. Does that help a lot and how much ram disk should I use. I will have to put the Bayes stuff in another place I guess.

Which items in the sendmail.mc file do you mean when you say "connection rate and akin stuff"?

I do have a little stuff in the .procmailrc files but nothing complicated. Spamassassin is run by MD.

if ((-s "./INPUTMSG") < 300*1024) {
I scan anything less then 300KB. I changed this from the default 100KB was that a mistake?

I also have been getting the RulesDuJour stuff. Is that maybe a problem?

10_local_report.cf           70_sare_header.cf  70_sare_stocks.cf             72_sare_bml_post25x.cf
70_sare_adult.cf             70_sare_html.cf    70_sare_whitelist_rcvd.cf     99_sare_fraud_post25x.cf  tripwire.cf
70_sare_bayes_poison_nxm.cf  70_sare_oem.cf     70_sare_whitelist_spf.cf      init.pre                  v310.pre
70_sare_evilnum0.cf          70_sare_random.cf  71_sare_redirect_pre3.0.0.cf  local.cf

I am also doing SpamCop, DCC, Pyzor, and Razor2. I know these can take time is that maybe my problem, if so what should I remove and/or add?

Thanks for your offer to help. I have been running Mimedefang and Spamassassin for a couple of years now and only lately has it caused my system to slow down. I have tried a couple of time to move some of the stuff to a newer (Ubuntu) system and have succeeded only to have system failures which caused me to move back to this old RedHat 9 machine which just will not die.

-
Barton L. Phillips
Applied Technology Resources, Inc.
Tel: (818)652-9850