[Mimedefang] Nice mimedefang?

renaud pascal renaud.pascal at atosorigin.com
Fri Oct 13 14:10:21 EDT 2006

Le vendredi 13 octobre 2006 19:19, Barton L. Phillips a écrit :
> Can mimedefang be run nice? Mimedefang with SpamAssassin take a lot of
> horse power and are slowing down my system from time to time.

  Do you have RAM and did you try and use it for the MD tmp ?
  Do you have connection rate and akin stuff set to the best in
your sendmail conf ?
  As you don't give much info on RAM/CPU/bandwidth/mailstats
that's quite hard to tell from here :-)

  What were the perfs (or are) when you don't activate MD ?
  Do you happen to have additional MLocal procmail rules beside ?
  What's the size threshold at which you decide to test the SA ?

  Ah, so many questions :-)

> Can I run
> them with a lower (higher) process priority so they are not such a drag
> on my system?

  If you have to try this you'll also have to tune down all of the rest
of the process, that may interfer with your throughput, hence it will
aggravate the queue(s) size, hence it'll turn your I/Os in to heat.

  Please, give infos on your setup (hardware and MTA) and maybe
someone in the list will recognize a situation he already had to
tame (and maybe succeeded to overcome) !

  That is, if you want to try an help. Now, if all you want is an
answer to your direct question
> Can I run
> them with a lower (higher) process priority

  the answer is : "yes, certainly"

  though, the side effects might be different of those you expect :-)