[Mimedefang] maintaining state - per message custom variables

Yizhar Hurwitz yizhar at mail.com
Tue Oct 10 16:56:20 EDT 2006

HI.

I would like to start using my custom variables in mimedefang-filter.

I have read "man mimedefang-filter => MAINTAINING STATE" section,

and I would like to ask your confirmation if I got it right.

I plan to use a custom array, that I will:

1. clear in "filter_begin".

2. Optionally write something to it in "filter".

3. Check in "filter_end" if it is not empty, and do something.

As far as I understand, this is OK because all those functions will run
by the same process - is it right?

What I plan to do is my custom replacement to "action_replace_with_url",
which will do something like that:

filter_begin:

=======

@detached_files = ();

sub filter:

======

if (......) {

 # copy the file to someplace...

push (@detached_files, 'link to the file');

}

filter:

====

if (@detached_files > 0) {

 # Use  append_text_boilerplate + append_html_boilerplate to add links
to the detached files.

}

I need the links to files that I detach, to be visible *and clickable*
in MS Outlook 2003 clients,

and I have tested both "action_replace_with_url" and
"action_drop_with_warning" to find that they don't produce a clickable
inline link,

so I'm trying to do it my own way.

Did I understand correctly the "maintaining state" section, and does my
sample code look OK?

Thanks,

Yizhar Hurwitz

http://yizhar.mvps.org