[Mimedefang] LDAP lookup in each function or write the LDAP results to the spool?

David F. Skoll dfs at roaringpenguin.com
Thu Oct 5 09:25:02 EDT 2006

Michael Lang wrote:

> thinking about, what's more complex, using another 'singlepoint of
> failure' within your filter (ramdisk, dbbackend, cache,...) or just
> using Mimedefang 2.56 which just handles slave requests with one
> instance (so your query can be stored for one email in Variables).

Michael, you are living dangerously.

*Most* of the time, 2.56 handles all requests for a given e-mail in
one slave instance.  However, that's not always the case.  If you rely
on that behaviour, your filter will occasionally fail in mysterious
ways.  In 2.57, the filter will fail reliably, which (IMO) is a lot
better -- it at least makes incorrect assumptions obvious.

> I'm running 2.56 as i additional count RFC ignorant or CountryBases
> Scores to Spammassassin Tagging scores from filter_recipient to
> filter_end so the request must stay on the instance, but maybe thats a
> feature Request for David to be able to select the Queuing/Scheduling
> Algorithm within the same Version ? ...

Sorry, no.  Changing the scheduling algorithm won't help, because depending
on mail load and when a slave happens to be terminated, there's no way
to guarantee that all requests for a given message happen in the same
slave.