spamd vs. builtin SA (was Re: [Mimedefang] Patch: adding custom headers for SpamAssassin)

Dave O'Neill dmo at roaringpenguin.com
Fri Nov 24 14:06:45 EST 2006

On Fri, Nov 24, 2006 at 05:27:08PM +0100, Jan-Pieter Cornet wrote:
> That said, after a little looking around, there's both a libspamc.so
> available (without documentation?), and a protocol description in
> the SA distribution in spamd/PROTOCOL. So it should be possible to
> create a standalone perl version of spamc.
>
> However, I probably won't bother... unless we can show that the overhead
> is significant.

There is a Mail::SpamAssassin::Client module that ships with SA, with
such confidence-building things in its documentation as:

   NOTE: This interface is alpha at best, and almost guaranteed to change

If anyone's inclined to speak to spamd directly from within their
filter, it might be a good starting point, but be prepared to fix your
code in future SpamAssassin releases.

Cheers,
Dave
--