md_syslog (was Re: [Mimedefang] Woes following an OS upgrade)

David F. Skoll dfs at roaringpenguin.com
Tue Nov 7 18:59:07 EST 2006

Philip Prindeville wrote:

>>Yes, because it's superfluous in Perl.  Just use variable interpolation
>>directly.

> Doesn't work with hex, or floats, etc. obviously.  Just strings and
> integers.

It works perfectly fine with floats.  And hex, if you like:

md_syslog($facility, "foo " . hex($number) . " bar");

When you write Perl, write Perl, not C.

> Except for hex, floats, packs, return values from function calls
> like inet_ntoa(), etc.

Oh for crying out loud!  I give up. :-)

You'd rather open up MIMEDefang to attacks based on format string
vulnerabilities than make a simpler interface that works almost
all the time, and is simple to make work absolutely all of the time?

I don't mean to sound harsh, but I'm not surprised you want to use
XML for your filter. :-)

[...]

> Sure.  But less functional, too.

How is it ANY less functional?  Name one thing it can't do that
a format-string-enabled syslog can do?

> Ok, what if we added md_syslog_ and had md_syslog() call into
> it with "%s" as the format specifier?

Go ahead, but it won't be placed in the official MIMEDefang.