spamd vs. builtin SA (was Re: [Mimedefang] Patch: adding custom headers for SpamAssassin)

Jan-Pieter Cornet johnpc at xs4all.nl
Fri Nov 24 11:27:08 EST 2006

On Fri, Nov 24, 2006 at 01:00:54PM +0100, Steffen Kaiser wrote:
> I was just wondering, because you shell-out one program per scan now. I
> was hoping that there is another way to connect to spamd.

Well, it's only a small C program, and it's likely in cache, not
executed via the shell but directly, so the overhead is pretty minimal
compared to the actual Mail::SpamAssassin scanning itself.

That said, after a little looking around, there's both a libspamc.so
available (without documentation?), and a protocol description in
the SA distribution in spamd/PROTOCOL. So it should be possible to
create a standalone perl version of spamc.

However, I probably won't bother... unless we can show that the overhead
is significant.

Oh, I'm using IPC::Open2 to write to and read from spamc, and prevent
tempfiles and executions via the shell. If you're interested, let me
know.

--
Jan-Pieter Cornet <johnpc at xs4all.nl>
!! Disclamer: The addressee of this email is not the intended recipient. !!