spamd vs. builtin SA (was Re: [Mimedefang] Patch: adding custom headers for SpamAssassin)

Jan-Pieter Cornet johnpc at xs4all.nl
Thu Nov 23 11:12:22 EST 2006

On Thu, Nov 23, 2006 at 10:00:01AM -0500, David F. Skoll wrote:
> > But, given the fact that we just switched to using spamd instead of
> > the builtin Mail::SpamAssassin modules, we don't really need support
> > builtin to mimedefang at the moment either...
>
> Just curious: Why the switch?  Do you see better performance?

Yes, but mainly due to better memory utilisation, and because of
our specific setup.

We don't scan everything with SpamAssassin, about 25% of the mails
are scanned with SA, the rest are only virus-checked, or checked
against the remote SMTP server.

50 mimedefang slaves, that adds up. Some of our servers were
swapping occasionally, especially when some large map-building
processes were being run, eating another 500MB of RAM.

We are now using about 5 busy spamd slaves, with very occasional
peaks to 15.

Of course, if every email is run through spamassassin, there probably
isn't a lot to gain.

--
Jan-Pieter Cornet <johnpc at xs4all.nl>
!! Disclamer: The addressee of this email is not the intended recipient. !!