[Mimedefang] Skipping SA on TLSMTA connections?

Jan-Pieter Cornet johnpc at xs4all.nl
Thu Nov 23 07:16:56 EST 2006

On Wed, Nov 22, 2006 at 10:31:26PM -0700, Philip Prindeville wrote:
> Locally (and for users on the road) we use port 465 (SMTPS).
>
> Since we trust email on this port, it seems a waste of time to scan
> it for Spam.
>
> I figure this is fairly common.  Anyone have an issue with the patch:
>
> ***************
> *** 263,269 ****
>       return if message_rejected();
>
>       # Spam checks if SpamAssassin is installed
> !     if ($Features{"SpamAssassin"}) {
>         if (-s "./INPUTMSG" < 100*1024) {
>             # Only scan messages smaller than 100kB.  Larger messages
>             # are extremely unlikely to be spam, and SpamAssassin is
> --- 266,272 ----
>       return if message_rejected();
>
>       # Spam checks if SpamAssassin is installed
> !     if ($Features{"SpamAssassin"} && $SendmailMacros{'daemon_name'} ne 'TLSMTA') {
>         if (-s "./INPUTMSG" < 100*1024) {
>             # Only scan messages smaller than 100kB.  Larger messages
>             # are extremely unlikely to be spam, and SpamAssassin is

Since the name "TLSMTA" is non-standard (not to mention WRONG for
port 465, because it's not TLS). I wouldn't add this to the default
distribution.

But sure, go ahead and change it in your local version.

I don't really understand all the fuss about applying micropatches to
the examples/suggested-minimum-filter-for-windows-clients file. As the
name implies, it's an EXAMPLE and a SUGGESTION.

We looked at it, took some parts we liked, then rewritten things from
scratch.

Now, whenever there's a new release, I skim through the release notes
looking for new or changed features available from the perl interface,
and possibly modify our interface to follow suit. I don't even bother
to diff the example file to the previous release anymore...

--
Jan-Pieter Cornet <johnpc at xs4all.nl>
!! Disclamer: The addressee of this email is not the intended recipient. !!