[Mimedefang] More on mimedefang and x86_64

Philip Prindeville philipp_subx at redfish-solutions.com
Sun Nov 19 19:53:58 EST 2006

Hmmm...

I run sendmail/cyrus-imapd/spamassassin/mimedefang on an
x86_64 machine (FC5 on an Athalon64 2800+) and it works fine.

To keep the mail server simple, however, I wanted to build
mimedefang-2.58 on a different machine, so I went ahead and
grabbed all of the dependencies.

I have to say, I was a bit configured.  It seems that the build-time
dependencies have been muddled with the run-time dependencies.

You don't need:

BuildRequires: perl-Digest-SHA1 perl-MIME-tools perl-IO-stringy perl-MailTools

in the .spec file, do you?  Can we yank this?  I just pulled it out
and things built fine (oh, after adding "--disable-check-perl-modules"
to the ./configure line).

Further, if you install sendmail-devel but don't actually
have sendmail installed on the machine (since your building,
but not actually running)... then you might run afoul of the
following scenario.  sendmail-devel installs (on an x86_64
architecture) /usr/lib64/libmilter.a only.

So, from configure.in:

AC_PATH_PROG(LIBMILTER, libmilter.a, no, $MILTERLIB:$SMPATH:/usr/local/lib:/lib:/usr/lib:/usr/lib/libmilter)
SMPATH=`echo ../sendmail-*/obj.*/libsm`
AC_PATH_PROG(LIBSM, libsm.a, no, $SMPATH:/usr/local/lib:/lib:/usr/lib:/usr/lib/libmilter)

dnl find libmilter.so in case we have shared libraries
AC_PATH_PROG(LIBMILTERSO, libmilter.so, no, $MILTERLIB:$SMPATH:/usr/local/lib:/lib:/usr/lib:/usr/lib/libmilter)

should we add /lib64 and /usr/lib64 before /lib and /usr/lib,
respectively?

I changed the .spec file to include:

    ./configure ... --with-libmilter=/usr/lib64 ...

and it seems to build...  but it might make more sense to
fix this in the configure.in file instead, as above.

Opinions?

Oh, and do we need the symbol file for /usr/bin/mimedefang
to put into mimedefang-debuginfo-2.58?

-Philip