[Mimedefang] Re: upgrading 2.51 to 2.57

NFN Smith worldoff9908 at sacbeemail.com
Wed Nov 15 18:59:59 EST 2006

David F. Skoll wrote:

> Is that server busier than the rest?  Does it have a ramdisk for
> /var/spool/MIMEDefang?

It is our busiest server, and it doesn't have a ramdisk, but none of our
servers are especially heavily loaded, and all of them run 4GB of RAM.

With that much memory, it's probably worth doing a ramdisk with some of it.

After my post, I found that two more servers were having similar
problems.  One with a similar (but lighter) load, and server whose mail
load is only a small fraction of all the others.

I also noticed that the server in question is running perl (and
perl-modules, etc) 5.8.8-2 and that the other servers are all running
5.8.8-6.1.  The lightly-loaded server upgraded to 5.8.8-2 when I
upgraded MIMEDefang.

For the moment, I've downgraded the 3 problem servers back to MD 2.51.

By your question, it seems that you're inclined to look in the direction
of an overall server performance and tuning issue, rather than something
  specific to version differences... ?

Smith