[Mimedefang] flock vs. fcntl

Jason Bertoch [Electronet] jason at electronet.net
Wed Nov 15 14:53:46 EST 2006

Reading the Optimizing Do's and Don'ts found at
http://www.mimedefang.org/kwiki/index.cgi?OptimizingMIMEDefang,
there is one line bugging me: lock_method flock.

I googled for info on these two locking methods and am hard up to find any
recent information on which to use on my RedHat and Fedora systems.  It appears
that fnctl works better for NFS but is there a performance difference for local
file systems?  Does the above suggestion apply to MD, Sendmail, or for all
software compiled on my system?  If only MD, is that set at compile time, or in
the filter?

Jason

Jason A. Bertoch
Network Administrator