[Mimedefang] HOME=/var/spool/MIMEDefang

Yizhar Hurwitz yizhar at mail.com
Tue Nov 14 16:28:48 EST 2006

HI.

I have several MD 2.57 installations, which I plan to upgrade to MD 2.58.

All installs are on redhat systems (RHEL4, FC4, FC5, FC6).

I would like to better understand the exact meaning of the new 2 lines
in the suggested /etc/init.d/mimedefang file:

HOME=/var/spool/MIMEDefang

export HOME

I know about the problem with spamassassin on redhat discussed in this
group (the errors in /var/log/maillog),

and I have also experienced it myself on some of these servers.

My bayes and awl databased are stored at:

/home/defang/.spamassassin

In /etc/mail/sa-mimedefang.cf I have:

auto_whitelist_path /home/defang/.spamassassin/auto-whitelist
bayes_path /home/defang/.spamassassin/bayes

BTW - On most of the servers, /var/spool/MIMEDefang is a ram drive.

So my question is - should I use the new suggested
/etc/init.d/mimedefang file "as is",

or change it to:

HOME=/home/defang (or /home/defang/.spamassassin)

export HOME

I simply don't understand what is the exact effect of this settings - is
it used for temporary lock files and such,

or is it also used for storing SA databases such as bayes and awl?

Thanks

Yizhar Hurwitz