[Mimedefang] HELO checks (WAS: sendmail and filter_helo interaction)

John Rudd john at rudd.cc
Sat Nov 11 14:45:05 EST 2006

Dirk the Daring wrote:

>    Again, that's "fully-qualified domain name"..."rudd.cc" is not a
> fully-qualified name.

Show me the rfc which states that rudd.cc is not a fully qualified
domain name.

For example, RFC 819 says that a name is partially qualified if it omits
common ancestors between two names (ancestors starting with the root
domain up to their common sub-domains).  Otherwise it is fully qualified.

Thus, rudd.cc is fully qualified because it does not omit any ancestors.
  It contains the full name of the host, all the way to the root domain.
  (well, ok. "rudd.cc." is fully qualified; "rudd.cc" omits the root
domain ... but aside from that one quirk, show me an RFC which states
that it's not a FQDN)