[Mimedefang] SPF

Steve Campbell campbell at cnpapers.com
Thu Nov 2 15:36:20 EST 2006

----- Original Message -----
From: "David F. Skoll" <dfs at roaringpenguin.com>
To: <mimedefang at lists.roaringpenguin.com>
Sent: Thursday, November 02, 2006 12:34 PM
Subject: [Mimedefang] SPF

> Hi,
>
> After much consideration, I have removed the SPF record for
> roaringpenguin.com.
>
> SPF was supposed to help prevent "blow-back" from joe-jobs.  (It
> was never designed to stop spam, of course, but I *was* hopeful that
> it would reduce annoying bounces caused by spam faked to come from
> our domain.)
>
> Alas, SPF has not lived up to its promise, and it has caused some
> problems for us (we have salespeople working on the road who send mail
> through their ISP's servers.)
>
> So, so long, SPF.  Too bad you weren't useful.
>
> Regards,
>
> David.
David,

If you have the time, could you explain where the problems you mentioned
occurred - were these incoming messages that failed at your server, mail
sent to other than your domains that failed due to the ISP being sent
from,....? I use the word 'failed' as a general term meaning it's  not doing
what it's suppose to do. Will you not check incoming SPF records now, also?

I do not fault your decision, but find that a lot of people soft fail SPF
checks, and this doesn't add to its reliability. I'm just curious, and could
use yours thoughts on this for the future when our decision may arise to
remove our records.

Thanks.

Steve Campbell