[Mimedefang] SPF

Joseph Brennan brennan at columbia.edu
Thu Nov 2 12:44:55 EST 2006

--On Thursday, November 2, 2006 12:34 -0500 "David F. Skoll"
<dfs at roaringpenguin.com> wrote:

> Alas, SPF has not lived up to its promise, and it has caused some
> problems for us (we have salespeople working on the road who send mail
> through their ISP's servers.)

That sounds familiar.  We have a soft record (ending ~all) because we
never told all our users that they could not send mail via ISPs with
their columbia.edu sender address.  Once in a while, some place will
decide to reject mail anyway if it does not come from our specified
servers.  So having no SPF record is better.  ?!  Come to think of it,
it's been a long time since that happened.  That's how dead SPF is.

Joseph Brennan
Lead Email Systems Engineer