[Mimedefang] OT: www. and "lazy users" (was Re: DNS and MX records)

Peter P. Benac ppbenac at emacolet.com
Mon May 15 13:53:31 EDT 2006

I run an Apache Web Server. When I create a virtual domain I add both the
ServerName and ServerAlias directives to each.  I know IIS has a similar
convention.

Is it a lazy user or a lazy admin?

My $.02 for what it's worth!!

Pete

> Am I the only one who finds this talk of "lazy users" a bit... I don't
> know, condescending?  (Admittedly, this is on a list made up of
> sysadmins, so I suppose that's par for the course.)
>
> Really, the only reason websites tend to be named www.example.com these
> days is tradition.  I mean, hardly anyone uses email addresses like
> myname at mail.example.com anymore -- the protocol and domain are enough
> for the common case, and people only tack on a hostname or subdomain for
> exceptional cases.
>
> Heck, most end users don't know, and don't need to know, that "www."
> indicates a hostname.
>
> The only real use for the www. prefix is as a visual cue indicating that
> the address refers to a website.  It's shorter and more aesthetically
> pleasing than http://  It's certainly not easy in speech.  "double-u
> double-u double-u dot example dot com" takes a lot longer to say than
> just "example dot com."  And let's not even start with "H T T P colon
> double-slash..."
>
> As sysadmins, our jobs are to make things work smoothly for the end
> users.  Sometimes that involves educating them ("Don't open unexpected
> attachments!")  Sometimes that involves adjusting the system to
> make it easier to use (filter out known viruses and spam.)  This seems
> like a clear-cut case of the latter.
>
> --
> Kelson Vibber
> SpeedGate Communications <www.speed.net>

----
Peter P. Benac, CCNA
Emacolet Networking Services, Inc
Providing Network and Systems Project Management and Installation and
Web Hosting.
Phone: 919-618-2557
Web: http://www.emacolet.com
Need quick reliable Systems or Network Management advice visit
http://www.nmsusers.org

To have principles...
            First have courage.. With principles comes integrity!!!