[Mimedefang] DNS and MX records

David F. Skoll dfs at roaringpenguin.com
Wed May 10 12:48:04 EDT 2006

John Rudd wrote:

> Uh, I think the way you're supposed to solve that problem (a domain that
> doesn't receive email) is by:

> a) not having an MX record,
> b) not having the hosts answer on port 25, or if they're shared among
> multiple domains, have them refuse email directed at recipients of that
> domain.

Well, you could also not publish MX or A records for your domain.
There's no law that says "roaringpenguin.com" needs an A record
(although it does have one, to catch people who are too lazy to type
www. into their browsers.)

I have a domain (986eiffel.com) that I registered when we were selling
our house.  (I'm sitting in the basement of 986 Eiffel Avenue surrounded
by boxes... should really be packing, but can't resist checking e-mail...
pathetic, isn't it...)

Anyway, I'm going to switch off that domain, and I've been toying with:

1) Publishing an MX record pointing to the loopback address

2) Just removing all DNS records for the domain, or

3) Publishing MX records that point to persistent abusers' mail servers.
Let them reject all the spam 986eiffel.com gets.

Sigh... I'll probably end up just doing (2).