[Mimedefang] Another silly idea

Jeff Rife mimedefang at nabs.net
Wed May 3 20:53:24 EDT 2006

On 3 May 2006 at 17:26, Paul Murphy wrote:

> > So, based on the code flying around, you'd never get my email.
> > So what would your response be (I usually try to reject with a telephone
> > number, so real clients can phone and bitch about the SMTP failure)?
> > "Change ISP"... That's not quite the response thats going to help our
> > company communicate to you via email. I admit, things need to change and
> > perhaps the email admins need to make that change. Take a stand, protect
> > it by policy, or fight those misconfigured systems. Maybe this will
> > actually change this situation (will your boss pay for it though?).
>
> My response is:	"Connection rejected - we don't accept mail from end-user
> hosts - get a proper reverse IP mapping, or route via your ISPs mail server."
>
> If you are capable of setting up your own mail server, you should be capable
> of configuring the routing as suggested, or of sorting out rDNS, or both.

If my ISP mail server allowed me to use my domain as a return address
in e-mail that is passed through it, this would be a good solution.  It
doesn't, and neither do most ISPs.  So, you'll never get my e-mail, but
I won't fret about it too much.  Long ago, I decided that anything out
of the hands of the mail server admin (like what IP they happen to
have, or whether their ISP isn't as responsive as the could be) isn't
grounds for outright rejection of messages.  Sure, it might add to the
score needed to reject, but by itself it isn't grounds for rejection.

--
Jeff Rife |