[ot] rant about changing ISPs being ludicrous Re: [Mimedefang]Another silly idea

Paul Murphy pjm at ousekjarr.org
Wed May 3 11:48:16 EDT 2006

> Note that the original topic was regarding dynamic IP addresses, and
> it was in the context of a small home or hobbyist user that I
> recommended voting with your wallet.  Obviously, for major
> connections, the hassle is extreme.

Also for major connections, I would expect them to provide a delegated block
of static IP addresses for which you can run reverse DNS yourself...

If they don't, what exactly are you paying them for apart from bandwidth and
a line?

For home or SoHo use, here in the UK there is one incumbent carrier (BT) with
lines to 100% of the population, with some local loop unbundling bringing in
maybe another 10 carriers to 10% of the population, plus cable TV companies
adding to the competition mix.  As a result, there are many ISPs - see
http://www.adslguide.org/isps/summarylist.asp - and all of them are capable
of offering service anywhere in the country where BT have DSLAMs in place and
the customer is within range.  Maybe 75% of them offer static IP options.

You guys in the States need to embrace the world of technology ;-)

Paul.