[Mimedefang] milter smorgas board

Richard Laager rlaager at wiktel.com
Mon May 1 14:13:45 EDT 2006

On Mon, 2006-05-01 at 10:29 -0700, Gary Funck wrote:
> http://www.snertsoft.com/solutions.php
>
> Above, a list of milters, many of them open source, some not.
> Thought it might be useful for ideas of add-ons/improvements
> to MdF.

Here's one I thought interesting:

http://www.snertsoft.com/sendmail/milter-7bit/

This Sendmail mail filter will tag or reject email with invalid message
content transfer encodings as given by RFC 2045. For example a message
that is declared to use MIME 7-bit encoding, but contains an 8-bit
octet, NUL byte, and/or unpaired CR or LF characters, would be
considered invalid and tagged/rejected. Variations of these checks are
performed for MIME parts with 8-bit or binary encodings.

-----

MIMEDefang already does the NUL and CR/LF checks as "suspicious
character checks". But, I'm wondering if the 8-bit check would be
useful.

Here's another:

http://www.snertsoft.com/sendmail/milter-date/

This Sendmail mail filter verifies the conformance of the date-time
strings found in the Received:, Resent-Date:, and Date: headers with
respect to RFC 2822 section 3.3 Date & Time Specification. The milter
also checks that the date-time strings in the previously mentioned
headers have coherent relationships betweeen themselves and the current
mail hop. Mail can be tagged, rejected, or discarded accordingly, if the
date-time strings have invalid syntax, semantics, or are incoherent.

-----

How much of this does SpamAssassin do?

Richard