[Mimedefang] Another silly idea

WBrown at e1b.org WBrown at e1b.org
Tue May 2 08:54:37 EDT 2006

Since my last idea got shot down pretty thoroughly, I though I'd float
another idea past the list.  :)

Since a large volume of spam is sent by machines that have been
compromised, frequently by virii, is there any reason to trust a sender
that has been seen sending virii in the recent past.  My thinking is why
not add them to an RBL if they have sent a virus in the past week or two,
automatically aging them out after that time (or not, requiring them to
request removal).

Even if it is a "legitmate" mail server, I cannot think of any reason to
trust it if it does not have functioning antivirus software running. Well,
perhaps if it is a very new strain of virus and their provider hasn't
updated definitions...

---

"Solving the spam problem is like curing cancer. It's not one disease but
100 diseases, each with their own issues."  -- John Levine co-chairman of
the independent Antispam Research Group, part of the Internet Engineering
Task Force.

William Brown
Web Development & Messaging Services
Technology Services, WNYRIC, Erie 1 BOCES