[Mimedefang] DNS and MX records

Steffen Kaiser skmimedefang at smail.inf.fh-bonn-rhein-sieg.de
Mon May 15 09:30:38 EDT 2006

On Mon, 15 May 2006, netguy wrote:

> This does not answer the question of how to stop spammers from using network
> resources.  So that is probably very wishfull thinking but if another avenue
> could be taken away from them...  Spam is sent to domain.tld WITHOUT checking
> MX records.

Dunno what's the problem with it - to check the MX records and to not SPAM
in such case, is like to think that nobody tries to pickpocket you, when
you wear a plaque "Nothing to rob here".

You have to fight this sort of SPAM the same as you fight any SPAM. And
with not to be able to distinct, whether the message came in through MX or
not, what do I miss about the situation?

BTW: When you have only one IP address, where does your MX points to?? If
there is a MTA running on port 25 on the machine, you're entitled to get
robbed (er SPAMMed). :-/

We block SMTP attempts to hosts, which don't even have any DNS mapping.

Bye,

--
Steffen Kaiser