[Mimedefang] DNS and MX records

Kelson kelson at speed.net
Thu May 11 12:24:28 EDT 2006

David F. Skoll wrote:
> Wilco wrote:
>
>> For example: during the registration process IDNL (the Dutch .nl
>> registry) will check for valid MX's; if these don't exist an error
>> message is generated.
>
> Why?  I am unaware of any RFCs that require a domain to accept e-mail.

Hmm, the closest I can think of is RFC 2142, which defines standard
contact addresses for various services, and states that "if a given
service is offerred[sic], then the associated mailbox name(es) must be
supported."

http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc2142.html

Not sure how seriously anyone takes this one, and even a strict reading
wouldn't require mail just for having a domain name -- (though
webmaster@ would be required if the domain name were used for a website,
so it probably amounts to roughly the same thing).

--
Kelson Vibber