[Mimedefang] DNS and MX records

Jason Bertoch jason at electronet.net
Wed May 10 08:57:53 EDT 2006

>If I'm not mistaken, even properly configured MTAs will revert to the A
>record of a domain of there are no MX records available. (although I
>haven't done any real research to back up this statement recently so I
>could be completely off base)
>
>Alan

That is known as the implicit MX and is held over from before the MX
resource record existed.  However, in my opinion, it has long outlived
it's usefulness and now poses issues when a domain really doesn't want
to have mail exchanged in their name.  I've resorted to using an MX
record of "0 ." for my domains that do not send or receive mail.  This
at least causes an immediate bounce and saves mail servers from connecting
to a web server for 5 days.

Jason