[Mimedefang] PGP signed mail garbled?

Rob MacGregor rob.macgregor at gmail.com
Tue May 9 11:51:46 EDT 2006

On 5/9/06, Gary Funck <gary at intrepid.com> wrote:

> I only recently started using and paying attention to
> PGP-signed email, and noticed that the PGP mail that
> I receive results in the following diagnostic from
> Outlook 2000 when the message is opened:
> "Contents altered after message was signed"
>
> I don't think the message was actually altered, but
> I'm surmizing that MdF disassembled and then reassembled
> the message, and that this may have disturbed the
> contents of message sufficiently to cause the message's
> PGP certificate to know longer match the message.
>
> Have you seen something like this?  Are there tools
> that might help further diagnose this problem?  I suppose
> that I could cause MdF to save a few original PGP signed
> mails into an incoming folder on the mail gateway and
> compare them against the delivered mail, but it'll be
> a while before I can get to that.

I've only had a problem with digital signatures (not PGP) and using
action_rebuild().  Even that only broke some messages, not all.  I've
not yet consistently had problems with PGP signatures (I do have
intermittent problems with bad PGP signatures, but I'm fairly
confident that's a problem at the far end as it's always the same
sender).

Keep in mind that signed email only has the body of the email signed.
Changed/removed/added headers should never cause a problem.

--
                 Please keep list traffic on the list.

Rob MacGregor