[Mimedefang] Another silly idea

John Rudd john at rudd.cc
Thu May 4 18:25:45 EDT 2006

On May 4, 2006, at 4:22, Steffen Kaiser wrote:

> On Wed, 3 May 2006, Jeff Rife wrote:
>
>> If my ISP mail server allowed me to use my domain as a return address
>> in e-mail that is passed through it, this would be a good solution.
>> It
>> doesn't, and neither do most ISPs.  So, you'll never get my e-mail,
>> but
>
> Well, guys, I have to apologise for starting this thread :|
>
> But this is my problem, too - and the problem of many others in my
> local area:
>
> + The (mail) providers either:
> 1) don't allow SMTP/POP/IMAP, but web only, or
> 2) mangle the From header (well, one even placed the telephone number
> there until recently!!), or
> 3) charge non-slight fees for the proper amount of virtual mail
> addresses.
>
> + Changing ISP seems to be easy out there, but I faced lots of
> problems in this field, because there are many companies selling
> _exactly_ the same product, perhaps add this or that service.
>
> + Also, the bandwidth of non-large, non-monopolistic ISP is often
> limited.
>
> + Webhoster for "a slight fee" have some dumb POP3 mail boxes, but no
> mail relay feature.

Dreamhost's base service  costs $7.95/mo if you prepay ($9.95
otherwise, I think).

You could, I think, literally just use it as your outbound SMTP relay.
Or you could throw on your web hosting and such.  (it also does mail
hosting, with POP, IMAP, procmail, and SpamAssassin)  I don't know if
they give you access to setting up something like mimedefang (if it's
not a virtual server, probably not).  If not, I'd probably use it just
for web hosting and outbound SMTP, and still do my inbound SMTP at
home.