[Mimedefang] MIME::Base64 conflicts on CentOS 4

Kris Deugau kdeugau at vianet.ca
Tue May 2 11:47:25 EDT 2006

Fernando Gleiser wrote:
> I'm trying to install MD on a CentOS 4.3. I downloaded the perl
> dependencies and built the rpms (using cpanflute2). When I try
> to install MIME::Base64 I get some conflicts and the installation aborts:
>
> [root at localhost ~]# rpm -i perl-MIME-Base64-3.03-8.i386.rpm
>         file /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.5/i386-linux-thread-multi/MIME/Base64.pm
> from install of perl-MIME-Base64-3.03-8 conflicts with file from package
> perl-5.8.5-24.RHEL4
[snip]

> It seems Base64.pm is part of the default perl installation now. Is it safe
> to edit the mimedefang.spec file and remove the perl-MIME-Base64 dependency
> or should I force the perl-MIME-Base64 install?

The "official" MIME::Base64 included with the CentOS Perl is likely to
be behind on changes, updates, and corrections - you'll likely see at
least a few complaints from MD if you don't use a more current version
of MIME::Base64.

What you need to do is get it installed in the site_perl tree, rather
than the vendor_perl or "core" Perl tree.  (/usr/lib/perl5/site_perl vs
.../vendor_perl or .../5.8.something)

You can do this by tweaking the RPM spec file.  Look for "%install" -
this is the set of instructions to tell the RPM build process how to run
"make install" to put files into a subtree that can then be rolled up in
  the .i386.rpm binary package.

In the spec file I have floating around (ancient;  I've been using Dag
Wieers' package for a while now), there's a line there beginning with
%makeinstall.  Add "INSTALLDIRS=site" to the end of that line, and
rebuild.  The package should install without error now, and MD has a
specific change (added ~2.48 IIRC) to make sure it looks in site_perl
for modules before it looks elsewhere.

-kgd