[Mimedefang] RAM Disk for /var/spool/MIMEDefang

Stephen John Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Mon May 1 10:06:49 EDT 2006

On 5/1/06, Mark van Proctor <m.vanproctor at metech.com.au> wrote:
> I have a question regarding the use of a RAM disk for /var/spool/MIMEDefang.
>
> If this is done, then the data on this "disk" is wiped each time the machine
> is rebooted, right?
>
> If this is done in combination with bayes / auto white listing, these should
> be placed in a different location (suggested location was
> /var/spool/MIMEDefang).
>
> Please let me know if this is correct?

Yes, your analysis is correct. I normally do the bayes/auto-white
listing in /etc/mail/spamassassin for this reason.. but it does have a
performance hit. If you have a large volume of email, and control what
you can put in your server I would recommend getting a dedicated
SATA/SCSI ramdisk. There are several models around at different price
ranges. They will be slower than a memory ramdisk (you end up at
150MB/s to 300 MB/s depending on the bus you are using..) but you do
not lose data due to built on batteries.

> Thanks
>
> Mark van Proctor
> BUSINESS SYSTEMS ANALYST
>
> Metech Pty Ltd
> AUSTRALIA - CANADA - CHILE - UK

> This email (including all attachments) is the sole property of Metech Pty Ltd
> and may be confidential. If you are not the intended recipient, you must not
> use or forward the information contained in it. This message may not be
> reproduced or otherwise republished without the written consent of the sender.
> If you have received this message in error, please delete the email and notify
> the sender.

Stephen J Smoogen.
CSIRT/Linux System Administrator