[Mimedefang] Per-recipient customization

David F. Skoll dfs at roaringpenguin.com
Tue Mar 28 18:03:43 EST 2006

> What would be a good way to approach this?

<plug>
Buy CanIt-PRO.  It gives you per-user customization with a nice
Web interface, plus access to our daily-updated Bayes database of
almost four million words and word-pairs.
</plug>

However, if you want to do it with plain MIMEDefang...

> The first thing that comes?
> to mind is putting the file in /etc/mail/ (say
> /etc/mail/mimedefang_user_prefs.cf), read it in filter_initialize(), and
> then use it in filter_end() somewhere after spam_assassin_check().

Depending on how fancy you want to get, you might want to store settings
in a SQL database.  That lets you write a Web interface for users to
modify their settings more easily.

> Another issue: how to handle one message with multiple envelope
> recipients, not all of whom have the same policy.

See stream_by_recipient in the mimedefang-filter(5) man page.

> I need to RTFM and
> think about this a bit more, but would it be relatively easy to strip
> some recipients in filter_end(), and leave others, before the message is
> forwarded through the mailertable mechanism?

That's doable, and for your requirements, probably sufficient, but if you
want to do vastly different processing for different recipients, you
might need to stream_by_recipient.