[Mimedefang] Per-recipient customization

David Eisner cradle at umd.edu
Tue Mar 28 17:42:51 EST 2006

Background: I have MIMEDefang running (with multiplexor and embedded
Perl interpreter) on a Linux box that serves, by way of a mailertable,
as an MX for another server.  This second server runs Netware,  hosts
the actual mailboxes, and provides pop service.

Whether or not you think it's a good idea, I need to give users the
option of discarding messages with SpamAssassin scores above a certain
threshold.  Such messages should be discarded at the server running
MIMEDefang, before they reach the user's MUA.  Right now we tag them
with the X-Spam-Score header in the usual way.

One approach I'm considering is a configuration file on the MX that
would be a table of  envelope recipient addresses (or recipient regex's)
and score thresholds.  If a recipient matches an address (or regex, if I
go that route) in the config file, the threshold is compared to the
reported score to determine whether to discard the message (for that
user -- see below) or just tag it as we do now.

What would be a good way to approach this?  The first thing that comes
to mind is putting the file in /etc/mail/ (say
/etc/mail/mimedefang_user_prefs.cf), read it in filter_initialize(), and
then use it in filter_end() somewhere after spam_assassin_check().

Another issue: how to handle one message with multiple envelope
recipients, not all of whom have the same policy. I need to RTFM and
think about this a bit more, but would it be relatively easy to strip
some recipients in filter_end(), and leave others, before the message is
forwarded through the mailertable mechanism?

Thanks.

-David