[Mimedefang] FAQ: FreeBSD and Mimedefang and embedded perl (something for the manpages)

Jan Pieter Cornet johnpc at xs4all.nl
Fri Mar 24 17:09:45 EST 2006

On Fri, Mar 24, 2006 at 04:55:57PM +0100, Martin Blapp wrote:
> >What's the best way to avoid a circular use XYZ; because I have that issue
> >lot?
>
> It doesn't hurt normally. But embedded perl doesn't seem to like it. I don't
> know how to check it.

Martin: this seems like a bug. If you can create a reasonably
simplified test-case, then I bet p5p is interested in hearing
about it.

KAM: the best way to _avoid_ it is better software design. If A uses
B, B uses C and C ends up use-ing A again, then some of the routines
that are needed in the other module are really general "utility"
routines that you need to refactor out into a completely different
package, U.

If you do that, you'll end up with, say, A using B and U, B
using C, and C using U. No loops.

You can indeed stumble into this, especially with the kind of
iterative software design that perl promotes, but if you find
out, it is time to take a step back and rethink the layout.
Though, I must agree, having looming deadlines hanging over your
head isn't exactly stimulating the "take a step back and think"
scenario.

--
Jan-Pieter Cornet <johnpc at xs4all.nl>
!! Disc lamer: The addressee of this email is not the intended recipient. !!