[Mimedefang] Writing to an MBOX file

Damrose, Mark mdamrose at elgin.edu
Tue Mar 21 11:47:28 EST 2006

ENTIRE_MESSAGE is what you get when you quarantine, during processing
it's ./INPUTMSG.

> I think the From line needs a little bit more info. I ran
> into problems with a Mailman archive when I fed it to
> Dovecot, my IMAP server, because it didn't like the
> abbreviated From line. It thought the whole file was one big
> message. Looking at one of my mbox files, it appears that a
> datestamp is needed on the end of the line.

If you're going to write it yourself, you also need to worry
about From_ quoting.

See http://www.qmail.org/man/man5/mbox.html
and http://homepages.tesco.net./~J.deBoynePollard/FGA/mail-mbox-formats.html

There are also several packages on CPAN for doing mbox reading/writing.

You may also want to see if maildir format could work for you.  It
would be much easier to write.  Copy ./INPUTMSG to the maildir directory as
a unique filename and prepend Return-path and Delivered-to headers.