[Mimedefang] Slave numbers [was: MySQL Greylisting - server has gone away]

Paul Murphy pjm at ousekjarr.org
Mon Mar 20 15:12:25 EST 2006

Schu,

>> I have a small system at home using 5 slaves and which receives about 120
> > connections per day, almost all of which are between 0700 and 2300, so
some
> > of the slaves will be idle for longer than 8 hours overnight.
> >

> You may consider cutting back to two slaves to save system
> memory.  You certainly don't need 5 slaves with this mail load.

Ah, but I do, because the mail pattern is such that I tend to get mail in
bursts on a regular basis, where 4-5 slaves are busy for a couple of minutes.
Yes, for a large part of the time they are idle, but I don't mind that - I
use embedded Perl, so the memory requirement to add a slave is fairly small.
I tend to run with 3 as the minimum, and 10 as the max, as I don't want any
mail to be delayed by the lack of a free slave.

Paul.