[Mimedefang] MySQL Greylisting - server has gone away

Jan Pieter Cornet johnpc at xs4all.nl
Mon Mar 20 07:52:48 EST 2006

On Mon, Mar 20, 2006 at 12:19:58PM -0000, Paul Murphy wrote:
> I've finally found what I think is the cause of the problem - MySQL drops
> idle client connections if nothing has been heard from them in 8 hours (28800
> seconds).  This is controlled by the wait_timeout system variable, which can
[..]

> The relevant settings appear in my.cnf, editable directly or via the
> mysql-admin GUI:
>
> 	#The number of seconds the server waits for activity on an
> interactive
> 	#connection before closing it. Default 28800
> 	interactive_timeout=999999999
> 	#The number of seconds the server waits for activity on a connection
> 	#before closing it. Default 28800
> 	wait_timeout=999999999
>
> Hope that helps someone else out there!

Your software will probably become a lot more robust if you solve
this problem in MIMEDefang, by testing the database handle before
using it.

If you're using "connect_cached" in your filter, that might be all
you need, since that automatically tests the database handle to see if
it is valid.

--
Jan-Pieter Cornet <johnpc at xs4all.nl>
!! Disc lamer: The addressee of this email is not the intended recipient. !!