[Mimedefang] Re: Accept mail before processing

Yizhar Hurwitz yizhar at mail.com
Wed Mar 15 16:20:51 EST 2006

HI.

As some have already suggested to you, I did the following on my small
MD server to improve performance of outgoing mail:

1. I have disabled antispam checking for outgoing mail, using the
following:
It is up to you to decide if you want to skip spamassassin check for
outgoing mail or not, and if so, which method or rules to use for that.

sub filter_end ($) {
   my($entity) = @_;

   # No sense doing any extra work
   return if message_rejected();

   # Spam checks if SpamAssassin is installed
   if ($Features{"SpamAssassin"}) {
     if ($RelayAddr =~ "^192\.168\.1"
       or $RelayAddr eq "127.0.0.1") {
     # note: You can add here logging or other commands to note that
SpamAssassin was skipped...
     } else {
       if (-s "./INPUTMSG" < 100*1024) {
           # Only scan messages smaller than 100kB.  Larger messages
           # are extremely unlikely to be spam, and SpamAssassin is
           # dreadfully slow on very large messages.
           my($hits, $req, $names, $report) = spam_assassin_check();
etc....

2. It would be a good idea to follow the performance tuning steps to
improve MD performance in general for any mail traffic.
One major step is to put /var/spool/MIMEDefang on a RAM drive.
Read here:
Creating a RAM-based spool directory - MIMEDefang:
http://www.mimedefang.org/node.php?id=27
And here (page 142):
http://www.mimedefang.org/static/mimedefang-lisa04.pdf

Good luck,