[Mimedefang] Accept mail before processing

Matthew.van.Eerde at hbinc.com Matthew.van.Eerde at hbinc.com
Tue Mar 14 13:56:10 EST 2006

-ray wrote:
> On Tue, 14 Mar 2006, David F. Skoll wrote:
>
>> That way, you only do the nasty hack for people connecting with
>> MUAs, and use normal "real-time" processing for everyone else.
>
> I am thinking about doing something similar for users with MUA's, as
> during peak times sendmail/MD can take 5-10 seconds to send an email.
> I was thinking about setting up another sendmail instance on another
> IP that just accepts mail from our MUA's, and then relays it through
> the sendmail/MD instance.
>
> I know I would loose functionality like immediately rejecting bad
> recipients, a feature some MUA users like.  But assumed a bad rcpt
> bounce would be returned to the original sender, right?

You could set up another sendmail instance on a nonstandard port on the *same* machine.  That way you can get bad RCPT checking without the MIMEDefang overhead.

Or you could require SMTP AUTH and run sendmail on 587, then configure MIMEDefang to skip SpamAssassin checks on authenticated mail... or run them on a no-network-tests config, which should be much faster.

--
Matthew.van.Eerde (at) hbinc.com               805.964.4554 x902
Hispanic Business Inc./HireDiversity.com       Software Engineer