[Mimedefang] What is this Mimedefang/Sendmail error?

Lisa Casey lisa at jellico.com
Wed Mar 8 10:51:29 EST 2006

Hi Ben,

> Check the permissions and mode bits of the directory...
>
> then compare that to what user your sendmail system is running as and if
> that user has
> rwx access to the dir.

That's one of the first things I looked at, and  I don't see where the
problem is. In sendmail.cf I have:

# default UID (can be username or userid:groupid)
O DefaultUser=8:12

In my password file, this is the user mail:

mail:x:8:12:mail:/var/spool/mail:/sbin/nologin

I have this commented out in sendmail.cf:

# what user id do we assume for the majority of the processing?
#O RunAsUser=sendmail

Permissions on /var/spool/clientmqueue are as follows:

drwxrwx---    2 mail     mail         4096 Feb 28 13:13 clientmqueue

The error message I am seeing looks to me like it's complaining about the
defang user not having permission to access /var/spool/mqueue and I'm pretty
certain that the defang user shouldn't be the owner of
/var/spool/clientmqueue

Mar  8 09:11:21 Raydeus-Dee mimedefang-multiplexor[737]: Slave 0 stderr: can
not chdir(/var/spool/clientmqueue/): Permission denied
Mar  8 09:11:21 Raydeus-Dee sendmail[17956]: NOQUEUE: SYSERR(defang): can
not chdir(/var/spool/clientmqueue/): Permission denied

I think maybe my thinking is screwey here?  What might I have overlooked?

Lisa Casey